Hi! Welcome to The Thespians! As a welcome to our new blog, we thought we’d count down our current top ten musicals. So here we go- (Not in any particular order)
- Dogfight Dogfight is a musical with music and lyrics by Pasek and Paul. It’s based on the 90’s movie about a young marine who holds a “dogfight”, a party in which all the marines have to bring the ugliest girl they can. The ugliest girl wins a jackpot of money for their marine, unbeknownst to the girl. When marine Birdlace invites young music artist Rose to the dogfight the night before he goes to Vietnam, she shows him a world he didn’t know existed.
- Kinky Boots Kinky Boots is a musical with music and lyrics by Cyndi Lauper. It’s based on the 2005 movie of the same name. It follows Charlie Price, who has to take over his dad’s shoe factory when he dies. Charlie is close to closing the place down, when he meets a drag queen named Lola. Lola shows Charlie that the best way to fit in – is to stand out!
- Side Show Side Show is based on the life of the Hilton Sisters, two conjoined twins, as they embark on a journey from a travelling freak-show, to hollywood stardom. It features the famous song “I Will Never Leave You”, and is a gorgeous musical about family.
- Hamilton What is a top 10 list without Hamilton? Hamilton is Broadway’s biggest hit of the season – and features something for everyone, whether it be Rap, sassy sisters or American History.
- Avenue Q Avenue Q is what happens when Sesame Street meets Family Guy. Raunchy, sassy and very very funny, Avenue Q is a puppet show unlike no other.
Well, there you have it! My top 5 Musicals. I hope you enjoyed the post, stay tuned for more posts about theatre gossip, reviews, and much more!